Home » News
Category Archives: News
Application for post of Senior Project Associate/Post -doctoral fellowship in a IGCS-DST funded project on “Analyses of micropollutants in water bodies in Chennai through GC-MS” for two years. Candidates who have research experience in chemical/biochemical analyses of water and or related environmental chemistry topic are preferred. Qualifications are M.Sc./M.Tech./PhD. in Organic or Analytical Chemistry /Environmental chemistry /Chemical engineering /Civil or Environmental engineering/Analytical Biochemistry with experience in handling GC-MS, extraction techniques and sophisticated analytical techniques like HPLC, LC- MS etc… Fellowship will range from ₹18,000 to 30,000 p.m. depending on the qualifications and experience.
Applications may be sent via email to Professor Dr T.S. Chandra, Department of Biotechnology, IIT Madras, Chennai -36 (E-mail id : chandrasainathan@yahoo·com)
- Volatile mediated chemotaxis in Dictyostelium
- The onset of paternal gene expression after fertilization in Arabidopsis
- Host-pathogen interaction in tuberculosis
- Enhancing hypoxia-regulated overexpression of angiogenic factors
- Stem cell biology: Epigenetic changes during stem cell differentiation/3D culture of stem cell derived tissues/role of micro RNA in tissue differentiation/exploring angiogenesis in stem cell derived tissues
- Preclinical studies of immunotoxins in mouse model
- Pretreatment and Hydrolysis of Lignocellulosic Biomass for Production of Ethanol and Co-Products
- Control of self-renewal and differentiation decisions in the germline stem cells
- Strategies to enhance production of camptothecinin by in vitro cultivation of the endophyte, Fusarium solani
- Downstream process design for purification of high-MW hyaluronan
- Metabolic engineering of lactic acid bacteria for propionic acid production
- Nano-particle toxicology: mechanisms and consequences
- Investigating the role of protein aggregation and interactions in Parkinson’s disease
- Modelling and functional annotation of membrane proteins
- Folding and functional characterization of regulatory protein domains using multiple spectroscopic probes
- Synthetic biology: Design and characterisation of circadian oscillators
- Systems biology: Engineering regulatory networks in microbial systems
- Metabolic engineering: Enhance production of bioethanol through engineering of novel synthetic regulatory circuits
- Molecular modeling of urea induced protein denaturation
- Computational characterization of PEG-peptide interactions for (cancer) therapeutics
- Unusual organic biotransformations using yeast/ plant cells
- Biomolecular purification in two phase aqueous systems
- Post-transcriptional regulation of candidate genes for cardiovascular diseases
Kiranmayi Malapaka, PhD Research Scholar, Department of Biotechnology (BT11D014) has received the ‘Young Investigator Award’ in Clinical Research for best oral presentation at the 11th Annual Conference of International Society for Heart Research held during February 8 to 9, 2014 at the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Mohali, Punjab. Her presentation was entitled ‘Discovery of SNPs in the Catestatin / Parastatin Region of Chromogranin A and their Association with Metabolic Syndrome in Indian Populations’.
The following research scholars from our department have received ‘Best Poster Awards’ under various categories for their posters (from among 203 posters presented) at the 2nd Asian Congress on Biotechnology during 15-19 December 2013 at New Delhi :
- Rothangmawi Victoria Hmar (BT09D018) for her poster entitled “Metabolic Engineering of Lactococcus Lactis by Chromosomal Integra-tion for Hyaluronan Production”, co-authored with Prof. Guhan Jayaraman and Prof. K B Ramachandran under category Bioprocess Engineering
- Jyotsna Jolly (BT08D015) for his poster entitled “Production of 1, 3-Propanediol from Glycerol with Lactobacillus reuteri“, co-authored with Dr. Bernd Hitzmann, University of Hohenheim, Germany; Dr. S Ramalingam, Anna University; and Prof. K.B. Ramachandran under the category Bioprocess Engineering
- Veerabhadra M V (BT12S004) for his poster entitled “Identification of Potential Metabolic Markers in the Transformation of Head and Neck Cancer” co-authored with Dr. Rayala SK, and Prof. Ramachandran KB under the category Biotechnology Tools
The details of the prizes won by the PhD Research Scholars of our department at the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Chemical Sciences (IETC-2013) held at VIT University, Vellore during December 5-7, 2013 are given below :
- ‘First Prize’ for poster presentation was won by Shri S. Jayakumar (BT08D012) for his poster on ‘Highly Enantio and Diastereoselective Allylic Alkylation of 3-Hydroxy Oxindoles and their Application in Synthesizing Oxindole Spiroethers’. He is guided by Dr. V. Kesavan, Associate Professor.
- ‘Third Prize’ for poster presentation was won by Shri T. Saravanan (BT08D033) for his poster on ‘Synthesis of Both R&S Enantiomers of 1, 4-Diphenylbut-3-yn-2-ol using Whole Cells of Candida Parapsilosis ATCC 7330’. He is guided by Prof. Anju Chadha.
The team comprising of the following nine 4th year undergraduate students from the Department of Biotechnology participated in the prestigious synthetic biology competition iGEM and won a Gold Medal at the Regional Jamboree (Hong Kong) and were also awarded a Special Prize for the ‘Best Human Practices Advance’:
- Aman Kumar (BT10B003)
- Kanishka Waghmare Purushottam (BT10B047)
- Mayank NK Choudhary (BT10B025)
- Mitan Sutradhar (BT10B026)
- Namit Sunil Holay (BT10B029)
- Nandita Damaraju (BT10B030)
- Nishita Mohan PV (BT10B061)
- Rohan Pradeep Bendre (BT10B036)
- Tolkappiyan Premkumar (BT10B045)
We congratulate the team for this achievement and Dr.Dhinakar Kompala, alumnus and Dr. Shrikumar Suryanarayan, Adjunct Faculty for the support provided by them to the team.
Prof. Sathyanarayana N. Gummadi has been chosen for the Talented Industrial Biotechnologist Award for the year 2013 by the Association of Biotechnology and Pharmacy (ABAP). He will receive a Gold Medal, Memento and Certificate during the 7th annual Convention of ABAP and International Conference on Plant Biotechnology, Molecular Medicine and Human Health being organized at University of Delhi during 18-20 October 2013.
The Computational Biology group of our Department has been recognised as one of the best performing groups in the country by DBT Biotechnology Information System Network, among 170 top institutions in the country.
Dr. Michael Gromiha of our department has been selected for the ICMR international fellowship for Senior Biomedical Scientists for the year 2013-2014.
Dr. Sathyanarayana N. Gummadi of our department has been selected as the Winner of ‘NASI Scopus Young Scientist Award 2012’ under the category Biological Sciences. He has been chosen from among 134 applicants in the Biological Sciences Category. The Award consisting of a trophy, a citation and ₹75000/- will be handed over during a felicitation function that will be held during June 2013 at New Delhi.