- Doctor of Engineering (Materials / Mechanical Engineering) Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan.
- Master of Science by Research (Mechanical Design / Mechanical Engineering) Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) Bharathiyar University, Tamil Nadu, India.
Prof Gnanamoorthy received his Doctor of Engineering (Dr Engg) degree from Nagaoka University of Technology, Japan. He served at Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University Japan, as a regular employee before joining as Faculty at IIT Madras in 1997. His teaching and research interests include on Advanced Materials & Product Design, Design with Polymer and Nanocomposities, Machine Element and Special Purpose Test Machine Design, Damage Tolerant & Tribo Design, Behavior of implant materials, and Surface Engineering.
Prof Gnanamoorthy has published more than 250 original research publications in reputed International Journals and Conferences. His research publications were cited in more than 1200 research publications worldwide. He has guided 7 Doctoral scholars and holds a patent on innovative surface modification process for surface nanocrystallization and fatigue life improvement. He has successfully completed many sponsored research projects for Government organizations such as NRB, ISRO, DST, IGCAR and offered consultancy services to reputed Industries in India and Abroad.
He is on the International Advisory Board of Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineers, and serves on a number of Government, Academic, and Industry committees and advisory bodies associated with the development of new Institutes, curriculum improvement and new product development. He has also served as an Expert Member of Engineering Education for Next Generation Global Engineers, Japan.
Prof Gnanamoorthy, served as the Founder Director of IIITDM Kancheepuram, and established a state of the art of green campus at the outskirts of Chennai and is an architect of Design Centric Engineering and Smart (Industry 4.0) Academic Programs in India. He has also served as the Mentor Director for IIITDM Kurnool, AP and Director i/c for the Central Institute for Classical Tamil, Chennai.
- Professor (HAG) Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 2013 - Till date.
- Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Apr 2006 - Till date.
- Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 2004-2006.
- Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1997-2004.
- Visiting Scientist, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, India, 1996 – 1997.
- Research Associate, Inst for Materials Research, Tohoku Univ, Japan, 1994 - 1996.
- Researcher – Govt of Japan, Nagaoka Univ of Technology, Japan, 1990 – 1991.
- Post Graduate Engineer Trainee, David Brown Greaves Ltd, Pune, 1990.
- Director, IIITDM Kancheepuram, 2010 –2017.
- Mentor Director, IIITDM Kurnool, 2015 – 2017.
- Registrar i/c, IIITDM, 2012 – 2017.
- Director (Additional Charge), CICT -2011 – 2013, 2015.
- Deputy Director, IIITDM, 2008 -2010.
- Registrar i/c, IIITDM, 2007 – 2010.
- Professor i/c of IIITDM, 2007 – 2008.
- Chairman – Academic Advisory Committee / Senate, IIITDM.
- Advisor, Foreign & Weaker Section (SC & ST) Students, IITM (2006-08).
- Engineering Rep, Board of Placement, IIT Madras (2005-07).
- Member, Board of Academic Courses, IIT Madras (2006-08).
- Member, Board of Students, IIT Madras (2006-08).
- Warden, IIT Madras Hostel (2006-08).
- Working Group of NSS, IIT Madras (2005-06)
- Chairman, RO Water Management, IIT Hostel (2006 – 08).
- Head, Founder Coordinator, High Performance Comp Lab (2005-07).
- Head Coordinator, Computer Aided Engg Lab (2003-07).
- Founder Coordinator, Product Design Laboratory (2005).
Honors, Awards and Recognitions
- Guest of Honor in Convocation of Nagoaka Univ of Tech, Japan (2015) , Anna Univ (2014), and other reputed Universities.
- 2013 Best Alumnus Award, Coimbatore Institute of Technology.
- 2011 B Tech Project Guided – Ms Mihita IIITDM received Best Project Award.
- 2008 M Tech Project Guided –Mr Kodeeswaran IITM received Best Project Award.
- 2007 INAE Student Innovative Project Award was awarded for the Doctoral project work carried out Dr S Sethilvelan under my Guidance.
- 2007 Received First Prize for Oral Presentation at National Seminar on Advanced Materials for Hostile Environment – Present Scenario & Future S Dhanalakshi, R Gnanamoorthy and M Balasubramaniam, Thiruvananthapura.
- 2006 Served as Chairperson for a Surface Engineering Session during THERMEC 2006 held at Vancouver, Canada in July 2006.
- 2006 Received Best Poster Presentation Award at ISRS, IIT Madras.
- 2003 M Tech Project Guided (Mr Abdul Hameed,) Best Project Award, IIT M.
- 2001 Received Career Award for Young Teacher 2001 from AICTE, India.
- 1990 – 94 Recipient of Mombusho Government Fellowship Japan.