Prof. Raghu V. Prakash
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Chennai 600 036, India
Office: Room # 209, Machine Design Section
Tel (O): +91 44 2257 4694
Dr. Raghu Prakash received his Master's and Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from College of Engineering, Guindy, Madras (now Chennai).
His research interests include machine design, fatigue of materials, small specimen testing, environmental degradation of materials as well as product design and development.
Awards & Honors
1. Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Structural Longevity
2. Regional Editorial Board Member, Frattura ed Integrita Strutturale (IGF Journal of Fracture and Structural Integrity).
3. Editorial Board Member, Journal of Life Cycle Reliability and Safety Engineering.
1. Infrared Thermography, Edited by: Raghu V Prakash, InTech, Croatia, 2012, ISBN: 978-953-51-0242-7.
2. ICoRD 13-Global Product Development, Edited by: Amaresh Chakrabarti and Raghu V Prakash, Springer, 2013, ISBN: 978-81-322-1049-8.
3. Advances in Structural Integrity-Proceedings of SICE 2016, Edited by: Raghu V Prakash, Vikram Jayaram, Ashok Saxena, Springer, 2018,
4. Risk Based Technologies, Edited by: Prabhakar V Varde, Raghu V Prakash and Narendra S Joshi, Springer, 2019, ISBN: 978-981-13-5795-4.
Journal/Conference Proceedings/Book Chapters
10. Raghu V. Prakash and Sampath Dhinakaran, “Understanding Fatigue Crack Growth Behavior at Low Frequencies for a Mn-Ni-Cr Steel in 3.5% NaCl Solution Under Controlled Cathodic Potential”, Materials Performance and Characterization, Vol. 4, No. 2, ASTM, Pa, USA, 2015.
11. Chandraprakash Chindam, C V Krishnamurthy, Krishnan Balasubramaniam and Raghu V Prakash, “Thermomechanical response of metals: Maxwell Vs. Kelvin-Voigt models”, Materials Science Engineering A, 2013, Vol 560, pp 54-61.
12. Hariharan, K and Raghu V Prakash, “Modification of fatigue strain-life equation for sheet metals considering anisotropy due to crystallographic texture”, Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Vol 35, No. 5, pp 458-465, 2012.
13. Raghu V Prakash and Akash Bagla, “Fatigue Assessment of Bolts with and without Pretension Loading”, Journal of ASTM International (JAI), Vol 5, No. 9, Oct 2008. Also, ASTM STP 1508, ISBN: 978-0-8031-3416-4, 2008.
14. N. E. Ashbaugh, B. Dattaguru, M. Khobaib, T. Nicholas, Raghu V Prakash, T. S. Ramamurthy, B. R. Seshadri, R. Sunder, “Experimental and Analytical Estimates of Fatigue Crack Closure in an Aluminium-Copper Alloy- Part I: Laser interferometry and electron fractography”, J. of Fatigue and Fracture of Engg. Materials and Structures, Vol 20, No: 7, 1997, pp 951-962, 1997.
15. Raghu V Prakash, R. Sunder and E.I. Mitchenko, “A Study of Naturally Initiating Notch root Fatigue Cracks Under Spectrum Loading”, Advances in Fatigue Lifetime Predictive Techniques: Third Volume, ASTM STP 1292, pp 248-264, ASTM, Pa, 1996. ISBN 080312029X.