Dr. Sivakumar Palaniappan
BSB 215A, Building Technology and Construction Management
Department of Civil Engineering
IIT Madras, Chennai – 600 036
Phone: (91) 44 2257 4258
Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering, Arizona State University
M.S., Building Tech. and Construction Management, IIT Madras
B.E., Civil Engineering, Madurai Kamaraj University
Planning and control of construction projects
Simulation based analysis of construction operations
Construction informatics and automation
1. Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (2003). “Automated path planning of cooperative crane lifts using heuristic search.” Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE, 17(3), 197-207.
2. Sawhney, A., Walsh, K.D., Bashford, H.H., and Palaniappan, S. (2009). “Impact of inspected buffers on production parameters of construction processes.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 135(4), 319-329.
3. Palaniappan, S., Bashford, H. H., Li, K., Fafitis, A., and Stecker, L. (2009). “Carbon emissions based on transportation for post-tensioned slab foundation construction: A production home building study in the Greater Phoenix Arizona area.” International Journal of Construction Education and Research, Taylor and Francis, 5(4), 236-260.
4. L. Pinky Devi and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2014) “A case study on life cycle energy use of residential building in Southern India”, Energy and Buildings, 80, 247-259.
5. Anna George Nellickal and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2015) Built Environment Sustainability: Review of Key Concepts, NICMAR Journal of Construction Management, 30(1), 5-18.
1. Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (1999). “Path planning of construction manipulators using genetic algorithms.” Proc., 16th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, 555-560.
2. Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (2000). “Path planning of cooperative construction manipulators using genetic algorithms.” Proc., 17th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, 439-444.
3. Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (2000). “Automated path planning of two 3-DOF planar cooperative manipulators using genetic algorithms.” Proc., 19th All India Manufacturing Technology and Design Research Conference, 445-450.
4. Sawhney, A., Bashford, H.H., Palaniappan, S., Walsh, K.D., and Thompson. J. (2005). “A discrete event simulation model to analyze the residential construction inspection process.” Proc., Int. Conf. on Computing in Civil Eng., ASCE, Reston, Va.
5. Palaniappan, S., and Sawhney, A. (2006). “Standard template library based discrete event simulation engine.” Symposium on Research in Engineering and Applied Sciences, Fulton Graduate Student Association, Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering, ASU, Tempe, AZ.
6. Palaniappan, S., Sawhney, A., and Sarjoughian, H.S. (2006). “Application of DEVS framework in construction simulation.” Proc., Winter Simulation Conference, Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, N.J., 2077-2086.
7. Mahalingam, A., Varghese, K., Sawhney, A., Palaniappan, S., and Walsh, K.D. (2007). “An integrated project planning system for tsunami mass housing in India.” Proc., Construction Research Congress, ASCE, Reston, Va.
8. Palaniappan, S., Sawhney, A., Janssen, M.A., and Walsh. K.D. (2007). “Modeling construction safety as an agent based emergent phenomenon.” Proc., 24th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, 375-382.
9. Palaniappan, S., Sawhney, A., Bashford, H.H., and Walsh, K.D. (2007). “Special purpose simulation template for workflow analysis in construction.” Proc., Winter Simulation Conf., Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, N.J., 2090-2098.
10. Palaniappan, S., Bashford, H. H., Fafitis, A., Li, K., and Stecker, L. (2009). “Carbon emissions based on ready-mix concrete transportation: A production home building case study in the Greater Phoenix Arizona area.” Proc., Associated Schools of Construction 45th Annual International Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
11. Palaniappan, S., Bashford, H., Li, K., Crittenden, J., Fafitis, A., Stecker, L. and Hay, S. (2012) "Carbon emissions of on-site equipment use in post-tensioned slab foundation construction", Proceedings of ASCE Construction Research Congress, May 21-23, 1662-1671.
12. Pinky L. , Reddy, S.M. and Palaniappan, S. (2012) “Application of life cycle assessment for a residential building construction”, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Life Cycle Assessment and Construction, July 10-12, 213-222.
13. L. Pinky Devi, S. Aysha and S. Palaniappan (2014) Comparision of life cycle energy use of high-rise residential buildings, 13th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET2014), 1-11, Aug 25-28.
14. Anna George Nellickal, A. Vijaya Rajendra, and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2015) A conceptual lean-based framework for improving the environmental performance of ready-mixed concrete production processes, Proceedings of the 4th World Construction Symposium, June 12-14, 2015, Colombo.
CE 5020 Construction Planning and Control
CE 5130 Construction Quality and Safety Management
CE 5014 Sustainable Construction
CE 3241 Approaches for Sustainable Infrastructure and Environmental Systems
CE 5100 Construction Software Lab
CE 2330 Building Materials and Construction